Sunday, May 9, 2010

Don't Skip the Sweets

When many people think of healthy living, they think that sweets have to be completely cut out of your diet. There are many things that you can make that are both sweet and nutritious for you. Studies have shown that eating dark chocolate provides many benefits to your health and your body. Dark chocolate, as well as cocoa, is rich in antioxidants which can help to protect your body. Eating dark chocolate can also help improve your cardiovascular health. It can help to reduce your blood pressure and improve blood flow, doing your cardiovascular system a world of good. So next time you are craving chocolate, go ahead and give in and grab yourself a bar of dark chocolate. My favorite kind of dark chocolate is Dove's Dark Chocolate. You can find the nutritional information on other brands of chocolate here.

There are other things you can make to get your sugar fix without all of the calories and fat of most desserts. Instead of having a piece of triple chocolate cake for dessert, try having a cup of fat-free frozen yogurt topped with fresh fruit, such as strawberries and pineapples, to make a sundae like this strawberry-pineapple sundae, which is only about 181 calories and 0 grams of fat.
Photo courtesy of: http://www.eatingwell.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/standard/recipes/DF2896.JPG



This Quick Lemon Freeze is also great summer/springtime dessert that are low in fat and in calories. They are the perfect way to get your sugar fix on these hot, sunny days!

1 comment:

  1. I dont understand how I'm not diabetic because I love candy. When I lived in the dorm and had swipes at the market, I would eat insane amounts of candy. I really like chocolate but I've never been able to develop a taste for dark chocolate. I know its good for you, but I really just prefer milk chocolate. But one thing that's awesome to do with it is to cut open a banana while its still in its skin, fill it with coconut and chocolate chips or whatever and then put it on the grill. Fantastic

    ReplyDelete